Friday, March 18, 2011

So you still want to be a Pastor?

Some people think I'm crazy for wanting to be a Pastor. Not because I'm terrible at it or anything but because they think it's a waste of my time or talents. Some think I could make a lot of money doing something else. And the reasons go on and on. Well, let me tell you why I still want to be a Pastor.
First of all, it's my calling. God has called me to be a Pastor. What I mean by that is God has called me with the specific task of shepherding a local church. He has gifted and led me in various ways to accomplish this. These are things that I have no control over. How do I know this is God's calling and not my own desire? That's a hard question to answer. I've struggled with that over the last number of years because I could really do a variety of things other than being a Pastor and still accomplish things with eternal, spiritual benefits. There are some times when I have a passion for ministry and some times when I don't. I definitely didn't become a Pastor for the money. I've been in churches who have treated our family very harshly and I've been in churches who have loved us no matter what. So how do I know that it is God calling me to be a Pastor and not just my feelings, passions, or desires of the moment? Yes, I could do many things other than being a Pastor and God would be fine with that. He wouldn't look down on me with disgust wondering why I squandered an opportunity to spiritually lead people or wonder why I didn't heed his call. He loves me no matter what I do. It's because of that love that I want to serve Him. I could do it many ways but this is the way I am to do it. I know that it is from God because he has given me the spiritual gift of Pastor/Teacher. Through the Holy Spirit's work, I am able to accurately and effectively preach and teach God's Word into the lives of people so that they are spiritually challenged and make a decision for God. This isn't something that I have chosen. It was given to me at the moment of my salvation. Yes, I have worked at it, gone to school for it, and tried very hard to be the best that I can be in this area. And by God's abundant grace he has grown me. Others who know me well and who are spiritually mature have also seen God's work in my life and have affirmed me in this area. Finally, I look back at my life and can see that God worked in various ways to prepare, train, and equip me to be a Pastor. I could write pages and pages of how God has worked to equip me to be a Pastor. Things that were well beyond my control and far beyond my knowledge and understanding that worked out to get me where I am today. So that is why I know that God has called me to be a Pastor. There are times when the passion isn't there. There are times when I sin and mess up. There are times when I think when I think that maybe my job as a Pastor is over. But there is also one thing that I have realized; it's really not about me. It's about God. So I must be about His work! No matter what I feel like, no matter what I think, life is still all about God. Is life all about God for you?

No comments: